Workshops and training’s are based on my book, Journey to the Mountain Within. The workshops are informative, dynamic, and culturally based. Note that all presentations are adaptable and I look forward to discussing your organizational needs. Feel free to contact me.
Engaging Troubled Youth
Audience: Adults who work with youth and parent groups.
- Utilizing language in redirecting conflict.
- Connecting youth to the arts for self expression.
- Understanding the impact of trauma on youth.
- Importance of mentors.
- Understanding the juvenile justice system.
- Using reflection in initiating positive transformation.
- Importance of culture in developing a strong self concept.
- Developing programs based environment and resources.
- Approach towards high risk youth (developing trust, rapport, and motivation).
- Comprehensive approach.
- Redirection counseling (verbal skills in dealing with volatile situations).
- Current trends with at risk youth.
- My experiences in program development (music, art, backpacking excursions etc.).
Audience: Students 12-19 years of age. Can be re-designed and simplified for elementary school children.
- Importance of being a person of your word.
- Communication styles: passive, assertive, and aggressive.
- Positive outlets for expressing anger.
- Ramifications and understanding of the juvenile justice system.
- Connecting with culture.
- Creating healthy challenges for self development.
- Importance of a role model/mentor.
- Discussion on future planning/goals.
- Learning about gifts and challenges.
Youth Leadership Writing Workshop
Audience: Designed for youth 14 -21 years of age.
- Shakespeare and Hip hop.
- Creating an environment of support.
- Using writing to express unresolved emotions.
- Understanding the power of writing.
- Metaphors and similes.
- Exploring style and delivery in the hip hop community.
- Understanding the work of well-know writers.
- Imagery and story development.
- Editing, editing
- Assisting youth to write one piece to be read as a group or in a community event.
How to Develop a Youth Outdoor Program
Audience: Adults and youth workers
- Preparing adults and volunteers
- Fundraising ideas
- Necessary backpacking equipment
- Essentials in training adults in backpacking
- Necessary physical training
- Guidelines for all participants to create a safe excursion
- Activities on the trail.
- How to avoid behavioral problems
- Diffusing behavioral problems during excursion.
Four Day Community Mobilization Training
The premise behind this training is the understanding that a motivated and focused community has the ability to redirect youth violence. Youth violence/gang violence is not just a law enforcement issue, but a community issue. The community has the ability to instill long term results with a committed and unifying approach. It is imperative to do this work with dignity and respect towards our young people. The purpose of this training is to motivate people to become agents of change and to create environments of healing.
Empowerment speech for middle school, high school students, community events, and conferences.
Redirecting Gang Violence
Audience: Workshop designed for schools, social service agencies, community groups and parent groups.
- Historical background on gangs.
- Gangs and drugs.
- Gang mentality and values.
- Understanding gang behavior.
- Reasons why youth join gangs.
- Prison Industrial Complex.
- How to work with gang members.
- How to prevent youth from joining gangs.
- Comprehensive community approach.